A House Repeated (Brighton Dome 2018) was commissioned by Brighton Festival during the major refurbishment of the Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre.
Performances were 6, 7, 10 & 11 May // Details can be found HERE // Written, Devised & Performed by Seth Kriebel & Zoe Bouras.
Find out about other projects at sethkriebel.com // Get in touch with questions and comments (or just to say hello!) at email@example.com
GAME MAP AND SOURCE MATERIAL
In A House Repeated, the audience explore an imagined version of Brighton Dome, based on a the building's past, present and possible future.
The map (below right - click to enlarge) shows the Dome as it appears in the performance. Information on the rooms and links to further reading follow below...
CONCERT HALL & ARCHITECTS' OFFICE - The Dome has been through several architectural changes... The original design was by William Porden, with construction beginning in 1803. In 1864, the building was remodelled into a concert hall by architect Philip Lockwood. Its current art-deco style was the result of further renovation in 1934, to the designs of Robert Atkinson.
Each group finds a Concert Hall from a different era... one from 1867 with the original gas chandelier in place and the other after the 1934 renovation. > MORE
GROOMS' QUARTERS & ATTIC - Construction of the Dome was completed in 1808. Originally built to house the Prince Regent's horses, the large circular room - now the Concert Hall - was the stables, with space on the first floor for the stablehands.
While there is no attic above the Concert Hall, there is a small corridor above the balcony with windows looking down into the venue. In its early life as a stable, the building was topped by a large glass dome, inspired by the Paris Corn Exchange. > MORE
BALCONY - In the game, the spotlight on the balcony is a 'Super Trouper', a brand of follow-spot made famous in the song of the same name by ABBA... winners of the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, held at the Brighton Dome (during which they sang not 'Super Trouper', but 'Waterloo'. > MORE
VIEWING GALLERY - Like the Concert Hall, the Corn Exchange was built to accommodate the Prince Regent's horses. Originally the Riding House, a Royal Box allowed the Prince to watch his horses exercise. Here, each group looks out onto a scene from a different era. One group sees the room as a Victorian roller-skating rink, one of the many leisure activities held in the building after Brighton Council purchased the building from Queen Victoria in 1850. > MORE
The other group looks out on a World War One hospital ward. The Dome and Pavilion were used extensively as hospital facilities during the war, with the Pavilion housing wounded Indian soldiers. > MORE
LIBRARY - For a time in the early 1900's, the Dome was home to the Brighton Library. > MORE
CEMETERY - During the current Corn Exchange redevelopment, a 200-year-old Quaker burial site was uncovered... > MORE
TUNNEL - A tunnel leads underground southeast from near the Dome's Stage Door to the northwest corner of Brighton Pavilion, its path marked by a series of small skylights visible in Pavilion Gardens. > MORE
ORGAN ROOM - After its conversion into a music venue, the Dome has been home to two pipe organs > MORE
While playing the Dome's organ might not open a secret door, in 1910 two Suffragettes were found hiding among the organ pipes, waiting to disrupt a speech by the Prime Minister. > MORE